At Affiliated Foot and Ankle Care, we know that many of our patients have had enough of New Jersey winter and are getting ready to head south for some warm weather, rest, and relaxation. If you’re one of them, our podiatrists, Dr. Varun Gujral and Dr. Nrupa Shah, want to be sure that your feet will be protected on vacation. Below are six items to pack to ensure you’re prepared for a foot-healthy holiday.
- Comfortable shoes. In fact, you should consider wearing these on travel day. With miles of terminals to walk between connecting flights and the occasional mad dash to catch a plane, your feet will appreciate shoes that are supportive and well broken in. Wear socks as well to get through security because you will have to remove your shoes unless you have TSA precheck.
- The skin on your feet is just as susceptible to burning in the hot, tropical sun as that on the rest of your body. Apply a water-resistant sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 30 to your feet and reapply after swimming or every 90 minutes. Remember to use sunscreen for shopping and sightseeing as well if you will be out in sandals that expose the skin on your feet.
- Flip-flops. Athlete’s foot and toenail fungus are spread by direct contact. Keep your feet covered at the pool and in public changing areas and restrooms.
- Water bottle. In addition to the importance of staying hydrated in the hot sun, drinking plenty of water can aid in ridding the body of excess fluids and prevent edema or painful swelling of the feet and ankles.
- Sports footwear. Don’t try to get by with sandals for a hike or boat shoes to play a tennis match. If sports or fitness activities are part of your plans, pack the right shoes.
- Mini Foot Care Kit—a few small items in your suitcase can make a big difference in the health and comfort of your feet on your trip. Be sure to include:
- Nail clippers
- Emery board
- Antibiotic ointment
If despite these precautions you suffer a foot injury on your trip or detect an unusual rash on your feet when you return, make an appointment at our Edison (732-204-6630), Monroe (732-204-6802) or Monmouth Junction (732-204-6945) office promptly when you get back.